Final Reflection

 Since I need to do one more reflection post, I thought I'd do it on my Final Project. Instead of just reflecting on it more, I'll try to also think about how I might revise it further (along with what I liked with how it turned out and thinking about the process of creating it).

Firstly, the decision to take a video of the video was a sort of experiment that wasn't necessarily planned. However, I really liked how it created a sort of swaying movement that that connected the choppy repetitious loops. I was thinking about this because of a the feedback I got when presenting, suggesting adding more elements in the animation that are continuous across the video, rather than the whole thing looping. I really like this idea because it fractures a discernible sense of time and adds an interesting layer of chaos and irregularity. This idea reminds me of those 'spot the difference' videos or even in horror games where the light is flickering and suddenly a monster appears. I think I'd also like to add more noticeable elements in the sound to emphasize an overarching progression. 

However, I'd like to still keep this subtle, as the goal of the project was based of monotonous, everyday routines. I think part of the reason it was so subtle was because I forget to account of different presentation modes; someone (who hasn't seen it before) watching it on the big screen with speakers are going to hear and see it very differently from me watching it on my computer with headphones. Upon reflecting on how an overarching continuity might affect this theme of routine, I think a collapsing of time is definitely relevant as well as being all too familiar in recent years (whether it be the year of Zoom-ing everything or just this last term, I often hear people talk about time losing meaning/purpose/direction). I think this very much ties into the reading as well, as Baudrillard draws from widely varying time periods creating a similar collapsing effect.

Overall, it was definitely a learning experience in a medium that is very new to me and I'm really interested in playing with animation more (perhaps in a more freestyle manner, since I think part of my frustration with my project is I had come up with an idea that was too specific, while I tend to prefer to improvise and play with projects as I go).

 
Spider (in corner of the coffee video)


Popular posts from this blog

Experimental Video

Introduction