Final Project

 I've been working with paper a lot for my project for the senior exhibition at the end of the year, so I wanted to explore the mixture of old and new mediums in this. It ended up being a reverse of what McLuhan describes as "new media [doing] the work of the old" (now the old, paper and photographs, is doing the work of the new, video). I was thinking a lot about time: "allatonceness" is shows through the timestamps, which mark when I compiled the video, taking less than a minute to watch (hence, the end timestamp is the same), and making the viewer think about their temporal location in relation to that. I find especially in watching videos, I feel displaced from temporality, in the sort of pocket of time that the creator of the video made when they published it for the world to see. I added my sound project as the track to the video because, upon playing it with the video just to see what would happen, it fit very well and, as a collage of sounds I hear through my day, manipulates the sense of time alongside the visual. 

One last note on the video:

I didn't edit out photos that showed my presence while I created it; a tweezer, a fingernail, moving shadows, and shifts from bumping the camera all add an interesting materiality to me. I think it makes it more tactile and less abstract – less like it exists in a void  – and I find that to be an interesting effect alongside my experiments with temporality.




Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Final Project

Reflection (Gina Adams's Lawrence Installation)